Hi, this is Frans! Today I would like to introduce you to a very easy, cheap and healthy soup. Just like the title, it is a recipe.. with lots of peanuts in the soup. It is such a catchy.. and original title. *cough*
Anyway, we love this recipe because it is our mom’s staple soup, very comforting and homey. It also has been my go-to and lifesaver recipe. Why you ask? As a busy college student, I have to run around campus, getting assignments done. After a long day at school, having to cook from scratch, with loads of dishes to wash afterward.. meh.. ain’t nobody got time for that! Sounds familiar, right? I’m pretty sure most of you feel the same way. This is the perfect recipe for those who:
1. Don’t have a lot of time to cook
2. College students with budget
3. Running low on groceries
4. Have no idea what to cook
5. Just want to have a lazy/relax evening
Did I mention that this soup is healthy for you too? I think I did. Peanuts are high in protein, unsaturated fats and other essential nutrients. They are also excellent energy source and contain high amount of anti-oxidant.
Other beneficial ingredients you can add to enhance the flavor including lotus root, dried oyster and chicken feet. Lotus root gives you that extra crunch. Brininess of dried oyster adds distinct flavor and chicken feet contain loads of collagen that promote healthy, glowy-looking skin.
Chinese-style Peanut Soup
- 18 oz raw peanuts (best: unprocessed with no skin)
- 10 cups water
- Add peanuts into a crock-pot or slow cooker and cover it with water (I use 4 qt Rival Crock Pot).
- Set to high; leave it for approximately 8 hours or overnight.
- Once the peanuts are cooked through, boil some carrots in a separate pan.
- Add carrots into the crock-pot
- Add sugar and salt; adjust to your liking
P.S: I usually leave mine in the morning before work/school (approximately 8 hours) on high, so when I come home, the meal is ready to serve. You can also leave it overnight or up to 12 hours on low.
So, for a lazy night, I hope you find this recipe helpful. Please enjoy this effortless, delicious and healthy soup. Lastly, what is your favorite easy and healthy soup? Let me know in the comment section below and have fun in the kitchen!