Hi, it’s Frans! I am here to introduce another quick and easy recipe! You know us, busy students, we have limited time to arrange our meal plan for the week. One night, I took a little “me” time and watched a couple of videos from these silly blokes. I find them very entertaining and have been a loyal subscriber for quite a while now. Go check them out! I came across their risotto recipe that night and a light bulb went off.
So, here you go, oven-baked mushroom risotto! That’s right! You read it right! Oven-baked!
Ma, can I have some?
We know how time-consuming it can be to cook risotto. Having to add chicken stock ladle by ladle and constant stirring to prevent it from burning, seem a bit too much if you have limited time. So, we present you with this recipe to make your life easier yet you can still enjoy good meal on one of those days when you’re busy, low on budget or groceries 🙂 You can whip this up really quick. It only takes about 20 minutes, and your lunch/dinner is served. Also, risotto is often considered as an unhealthy and complicated dish; however, we can turn the table by cutting out the cheese & bacon and bake it instead. To add more body to this dish, we decided to use two kinds of mushrooms instead of bacon. Mushrooms have been used as meat substitute for vegetarians. Okay, lets end the chitchat and lets get cooking!
Adapted from sortedfood.com
- 500 grams Arborio / Risotto Rice
- 1.6 L Chicken Stock
- 2 medium onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 large Portobello mushroom, 1/2 extra for garnish
- 6 button mushrooms, 2 extra for garnish
- 4 Tbs double cream
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- Preheat oven to 360°C.
- Melt the butter in a pan, sauté onion and garlic until fragrant and translucent.
- Add thyme to the onion and garlic (2).
- Add risotto rice and coat each grain thoroughly with butter.
- Add white wine and chicken stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cover with lid.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- With a food processor, blend both Portobello and button mushrooms, followed by double cream.
- In another pan, melt butter and saute mushroom until cook (for garnish).
- Once the rice (7) is cooked, add the mushroom mixture (8) and mix.
- Adjust salt amount to your liking
- Garnish with sautéed mushroom (9) and parsley.
Tips: Do not worry about the raw taste of the mushrooms since the heat from the pan and the rice will cook them.
Hope you like it!