Hi, it’s Jojo again. Lately, the weather has been great in SoCal. Nice sunny day. At last, the strange chilly day is over. Maybe we’ll have a couple more rainy days here, but it shouldn’t be as bad. So, we took Mason to the beach and let him play, run and tumble, roll, dig, sniff, snort, sneeze, you know, his usual Pug business. Everyone was exhausted and we needed to cool down. That’s why this recipe came to mind. Honeydew melon is probably my most favorite fruit because of the color and sweetness. Each sister has their own signature color and mine is honeydew light green. Also, did you know that green color relaxes the eyes and relieves the stress you have after working all day? This drink can be a stress reliever after a long tiring day. Furthermore, a quote from Mimi, she says, “It looks like a glass of witch’s concoction or poison. It’s a perfect Halloween recipe to entertain guests!” Right?
This recipe is originally from our mom. Our mom is a strong, brave, and lovely woman. A very bubbly and loud person. She used to make this light and fresh drink for us when we were young. Like any other sojourners, we miss our mom’s home-made cooking the most. This drink is one of them. A refreshing drink that will bring a lot of good old memories! A drink to impress your family and friends. Or even new neighbors!
Let’s get started!
Honeydew Juice with Gelatin
- A packet of gelatin (we use Swallow brand agar-agar powder)
- 120 grams sugar (gelatin) & 3/4 cup sugar (simple syrup)
- 1 honeydew melon
- 3 cups water
- Cook the gelatin according to the packet instruction. In high heat, stir constantly until it boils. Make sure it boils because the gelatin won’t set if it’s not.
- Pour the hot mixture into a glass dish container and let it set in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- Make simple syrup by mixing water and 3/4 cup sugar in a large saucepan. Let it chill in the fridge.
- Cut honeydew into small chunks and put them in a blender. Pulse until smooth.
- Combine the honeydew juice with the syrup (3).
- Fun part: Use a cheese grater, grate the gelatin and pour it into the above mixture (5).
- Adjust the sweetness accordingly.
If you try this recipe, please comment below and let us know what you think. I hope you like it!