Welcome, 2013 ! Another new year, more new year resolutions to set and achieve. The three of use made several promises – one of them is to change our lifestyle by eating healthier (Who doesn’t, right?). It all started when F felt the need to change. We got a little too comfortable and pigged out during the holiday season, resulting in extra inches on our waists and also this guilt feeling that has been haunting us since earlier this year. Besides, it’s been pretty gloomy in California. We wanted to have something warm, comforting, yet.. somewhat healthy. That was when this delicious chicken meatball came to mind. It’s a quick and easy recipe with a few staple ingredients in our pantry and refrigerator.
Serve: makes 14
For chicken meatballs:
- 400 grams ground chicken
- 2 teaspoon ginger juice
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 4 tablespoon Panko or bread crumbs
- Olive oil
- Add all of the above ingredients, except the olive oil, to a bowl and mix it well.
- Scoop the meat mixture with your hand and form it into 2-inches balls.
- Heat up pan in medium heat, add olive oil and fry the meatballs until golden brown. Approximately 5 minutes.
For meat sauce:
- 200 grams ground beef
- 20 grams butter
- 400 ml unsalted canned tomato
- 400 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml milk
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup minced onion
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & pepper
- A dash of sugar
- In medium heat, saute minced onion and garlic until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and salt & pepper until cooked.
- Add unsalted canned tomato and bay leaf. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and let it simmer for another 20 minutes. Set aside.
To thicken the sauce:
- In another pan under low heat, add butter and flour.
- Add the milk slowly. Be careful not to burn it.
- Pour this mixture slowly into the meat sauce
- Stir until combined and it’s ready!
- Garnish with parsley.. or green onion.. (or whatever you have in hand…) before serving
To add extra oomph to this dish, you can crack some eggs into the sauce in low heat. Let it slowly simmer and cook the eggs until they are done to your liking.
Have fun in the kitchen!